Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Wake Me Up When September Ends

Just kidding. There's no way I am sleeping through this September. My three months at the University for Foreigners have come to an end. As I've come to learn, like most endings this past year, it's a little bittersweet. On one hand, I am glad to have the free time to travel for the next three weeks. Right now, I'm two days away from flying out to London for 5 days with Claire and Bridget...but more on that later.

On the other hand, I've met so many great people through Stranieri that, inevitably, I'm sad that I won't be returning after my trips. In two of my earlier posts, I had listed some of the countries represented here over my stay. Now that my time at Stranieri is over, here's a more complete list: Albania, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Belgium, Brazil, China, Croatia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, England, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Hungary, India, Iran, Israel, Japan, Jordan , Kazakhstan, Latvia, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Mexico, Morocco, New Zealand, Pakistan, Palestine, Poland, Romania, Senegal, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Turkey, Turkey, United States, Venezuela, and Vietnam. Personally, I find it impressive that the school hosts so many students from such diverse places.

However, what I really enjoyed about Stranieri is the strength of the friendships I was able to make while there, especially with my classmates. I haven't said anything about this before, but after the end of the July classes, I was especially down. I think working through that really helped prepare me for the third time my friends left in masses at the end of August. If there is anything I didn't like about my time at Stranieri, that would be it.

Life goes on. Everyone returns to their regular lives and I remain in Perugia to start all over again (to some extent). It's not the same anymore, though. I start school at the University of Perugia on the 24th of September, the day after my birthday. From here until then, though, I have a whirlwind of traveling planned.

  • 6 September - 10 September: England (London)
  • 13 September - 20 September: Spain (Barcelona, Málaga, Córdoba, Granada & Sevilla)
  • 21 September - 23 September: back to Italy (Milan)

Fingers crossed for a great time! 

2 comments:

  1. That's a lot of countries represented! I can see why you'd be sad that a lot of your friends headed home. I'm glad you've got some great trips planned. Traveling to new places should cheer you right up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I haven't said anything about this before, but after the end of the July classes, I was especially down." - I know, Mario, you missed me ever so much :P

    ReplyDelete